Lady Blue’s rally falls short

Farwell’s Hailey Grimes releases a pass over Sudan’s Myesha Williams during the second half of Friday’s game in Farwell. Photo by Eric Kluth

By Dave Wagner

FARWELL — If ever a team looked out of it, it was the Farwell Lady Blue on Friday night.

While Sudan scored on its first six and 10 of the first 12 possessions, Farwell failed to scratch on its initial 18 trips downcourt and fell behind 20-0 before junior Micah Christian hit a 3-pointer with just over two minutes left in the half.

The Lady Blue then mounted an inspired comeback, pulling to within five points early in the fourth quarter. But it was simply too big a hill to climb, and the District 3-1A champion Hornettes escaped with a 41-33 victory.

Not surprisingly, the edge came off for Sudan (24-4, 9-0 district) after its stunning early domination.

“We seemed to let down in our intensity, and they took advantage of it,” Hornettes coach Clay Stout said. “It was a total change of momentum. One of us had it and the other one didn’t, and there wasn’t much in between.”

Sophomore Britney Bryant scored 14 points and senior Myesha Williams added 11 for Sudan, which has a three-game lead over Farwell (14-14, 6-3) and Springlake-Earth with one to play.

Assuming they end up tied — and both will be heavily favored in Tuesday’s regular-season finales — Farwell and Springlake (17-7, 6-3) are set for a 6:30 p.m. (CST) playoff on Friday at Littlefield for the second of two district postseason berths.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team that efficient against us,” Farwell coach Doug Boyd said of Sudan’s early rush. “But it shows the character these (Farwell) girls have. A lot of teams could’ve quit and laid down, but these girls don’t do that.”

No one scored in double figures for the Lady Blue, with seniors Chelsea Meyer and Khallie Foster finishing with eight points apiece. Farwell did not have a 2-point field goal until the fourth quarter, hitting six 3s and two free throws to trail 31-20 after three periods.

The Lady Blue got two 2-pointers and two free throws from Myers in the first two minutes of the final stanza to make it 31-26, but turned the ball over on their next possession. Williams converted that floor error into a layup, and Bryant followed with two free throws at the 4:38 mark for a nine-point lead.

“We got out of sync for a while,” Stout said. “We had too many wasted trips, and lost some of our intensity.”

Farwell extended its pressure in the second half, trying to get the Hornettes out of their deliberate style. Boyd also credited his bench, which contributed 14 points, for helping spur the comeback.

“We made them drive, and that’s not their style,” he said of Sudan. “That sped up the game, and we got some steals and made some shots.”

Boyd said his team can build on the comeback.
“In the locker room, I tried to be positive with the girls,” he said. “I told the girls, ‘You have to understand that you can play that well all the time.’”