Quay attorney: Jailer to be arraigned monday

By William Thompson

TUCUMCARI — Robert Gonzales, the Quay County detention center employee charged with criminal sexual conduct involving minors, will be arraigned in 10th Judicial District Court soon, according to Nancy English, an attorney for the district attorney’s office.
Gonzales faces two counts of criminal sexual penetration of a minor and two counts of criminal sexual contact of a minor, according to a grand jury indictment filed in Quay County District Court on Tuesday afternoon.
English said she expects the arraignment to occur on Monday.
Michael T. Garrett, the Clovis-based attorney for Gonzales, could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.
Gonzales could not be reached for comment.
English said no arrest warrant has been issued for Gonzales.
“He has only been issued a criminal summons to appear before the court on Monday,” she said.
Three juvenile females told criminal investigators in the case that Gonzales committed illegal sexual acts with them at the Quay County Juvenile Detention Center on four separate occasions beginning in December 2002.
Gonzales was arrested and charged in November 2003. The charges against Gonzales were dismissed in Quay County Magistrate Court on Jan. 28. At the time, Magistrate Judge Edwin Bruhn said the prosecutor’s office wanted the charges dismissed so the case could go before a grand jury.
Donald Schutte, the chief deputy district attorney, presented evidence against Gonzales before the grand jury Monday.
Schutte’s assistant in the case, English, said the grand jury decided to indict Monday, but did not file the indictment until Tuesday afternoon.
English said Schutte is very experienced in dealing with cases of this magnitude.
“Donald Schutte has been an attorney for about 25 years,” she said. “I, however, have very little experience with this type of case.”
English cautioned it may take some time before hearings in the case begin.
“After the arraignment, we will have six months before we are required to bring our case to trial,” she said.
According to English, Schutte was out of town Tuesday afternoon and could not be reached for comment.