Police Blotter 5/2

By Darrell Todd Maurina

A 25-year-old airman stationed at Cannon Air Force Base but deployed to Iraq called the Clovis Police Department about 11 p.m. on April 24 to report that his 18-year-old wife had been writing checks on his account. The husband advised that he has revoked the legal documents allowing her to manage his money while he is deployed but she continues to write checks.
The husband supplied numerous copies of checks via e-mail and a copy of the legal documents. Police advised him that they weren’t sure how the district attorney would handle the case because the two are married.
On Wednesday, the airman e-mailed police and advised he no longer wanted to pursue charges.
• • •
Following up on a report by school officials to the Children, Youth and Families Department, Clovis police responded to a Clovis home about 11:45 a.m. Wednesday and interviewed a 7-year-old girl regarding possible criminal sexual penetration.
The girl said she had been watching cartoons with a 12-year-old boy when he began to fondle her about two weeks earlier. Police went to the boy’s home but were unable to locate him or his parents.
• • •
Police arrived about 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at Plains Regional Medical Center to interview a 40-year-old man who was having his shoulder X-rayed. Checking his shoulder showed an apparent bullet wound and numerous abrasions and bruises on his head, ears, chest, knees, and armpit, as well as a large abrasion on his face. Both of his eyes were also bruised and swollen.
The X-rays showed his upper arm was broken, possibly due to a bullet.
The man told police he had woken up dizzy and his injuries were caused by falling into a dresser and table next to his bed.
Police told the man that based on the type and extent of his injuries they believed he had been beaten up and shot. A search of the man’s home at the 1500 block of Brentwood revealed large amounts of blood as well as shell casings and a broken stick. Police turned the case over to the detective division.
• • •
About 11:50 a.m. Wednesday, police responded to a fight in progress at the 900 block of Jones in which one person’s finger had been bitten off.
Police intercepted two women, one 44 and the other 43, as they were about to leave the yard in a vehicle. The older woman’s face was bleeding and swollen; the younger woman had also been hit.
The 44-year-old woman said a 53-year-old woman had ordered her to leave the house and began pushing her. During a subsequent fight, the 44-year-old woman said the 53-year-old woman’s finger got into her mouth and she bit down, severing the finger. She said the 53-year-old woman’s son then began to attack her and threatened to kill her.
The two women managed to flee the house and get to their car, but the residents blocked their car so they could not leave.
Police took photos of the injuries and arranged to transport the injured people to Plains Regional Medical Center but did not file charges pending further investigation.
• • •
About 4:30 p.m. Thursday, police responded to a store at the 1200 block of West 21st. Street where a woman said her knapsack had been stolen out of her car while she was shopping.
The woman told police she had left her vehicle unlocked and said she had already canceled her credit cards so they could not be used.

Police Blotter is compiled by CNJ staff writer Darrell Todd Maurina. He can be contacted at 763-6991 or: