Cannon Varsity Basketball team defeats Dyess

Master Sgt. Robert Evans, 27th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron

Cannon Air Force Base’s Men’s Varsity Basketball team hit the hardwood Saturday for a double header against Dyess Air Force Base in an early season contest.
This year’s team is very young but athletic. Cannon got off to a slow start falling behind 3 to 6, but Staff Sgt. Jerry Williams, 27th Equipment Maintenance Squadron came in and scored six quick points and provided a defensive presence that sparked Cannon’s high-octane offense. Once the offense started clicking it was time for Senior Airman Regindel Jones, 27th Security Forces Squadron and Airman 1st Class Daniel Hatcher, 27th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, to take over. Jones had the play of the game when he drove down the middle of the lane and elevated on a Dyess defender and threw down a thunderous dunk.
With the game going back and forth, Cannon went to a half court trap and got three quick turnovers leading to easy baskets. Airman 1st Class Drew Poole, 27th Component Maintenance Squadron, made an outstanding defensive stop when he blocked what looked like an easy basket for Dyess. Poole’s block provided a 4-point swing giving Cannon a little breathing room.
Airman 1st Class Warren Goldsmith, 27th Medical Operations Squadron and Staff Sgt. Matthew Jimerson, 27th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, stepped up and hit some key baskets down the stretch to keep Cannon in the lead. Cannon was able to win the hard fought game 87-79. Leading the way was Amn. Jones with 20 points, Amn. Hatcher chipping in with 16, and Sgt. Jimerson and Staff Sgt. Jerry Williams, 27th EMS, dropping in 11 points a piece.
In game 2, Senior Airman Rashaud Blair, 27th Security Forces Squadron, ran the offense getting the ball to the right person at the right time and Amn. Julion Curry, 27th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, and 2nd Lieutenant Fumisho Bass, 27th Communications Squadron worked hard on the boards on both ends of the court. Senior Airman Lydell Hudson, 523rd Fighter Squadron, came out with something to prove and he made his point as he scored 11 first half points. Once again Cannon went to the half court trap and once again Cannon’s defensive intensity and speed caused problems for Dyess’s offense. During the defensive stance Amn. Goldsmith had two steals and scored six points, while Amn. Jones had two steals and six points also, two of the points coming once again on a spectacular dunk.
Amn. Hatcher came down on a fast break and threw down a monstrous dunk on a Dyess defender. However with five minutes left in the game and Cannon with a 13-point lead, Cannon began to allow Dyess to sneak back into the game.
With less than a minute to go in the game and Cannon and Dyess knotted at 65, Amn. Hatcher hit a deep 3-pointer but Dyess answered with a 3-pointer of their own. Sgt. Jimerson was intentionally fouled and he went to the line and made one out of two. Dyess missed their attempt and Cannon was able to rebound the ball. Dyess was forced to foul again but not only did they foul Jones but a technical foul was called for unsportsman-like conduct on a Dyess player. Amn. Jones hit the two free throws to give Cannon a one point lead with nine seconds left.
Dyess pushed it up court where they attempted a three pointer but the shot was short and Cannon rebounded the ball to seal the victory.
Cannon was lead by Amn. Hudson with 17 points, Amn. Goldsmith tossed in 11, while Amn. Jones netted 10.
Coach Master Sgt. Robert Evans was pleasantly surprised by his team’s performance particularly in the second game by the way they executed the offense and with the defensive intensity.
“We really don’t have a true center but the guys did really well manning the middle by committee,” he said. “We are looking forward to seeing how well we will do on the road. We won’t have long to wait as we hit the road next weekend to play Dyess for another tune-up game before the league play begins in mid October.”
Cannon hits the floor again this weekend playing Holloman at 2 p.m. on Saturday and then again at noon Sunday. Come out and support Cannon! Hope to see you there.
Editors note: Writer Master Sgt. Evans was also the coach of Cannon’s team.