TRICARE benefits follow students on winter break

American Forces Press Service

FALLS CHURCH, Va. — With winter break approaching, many college students will visit family or friends. Making sure their TRICARE benefits follow them during holiday travel is a simple process.

To avoid higher out-of-pocket costs and point-of-service charges, students should get care before heading home or elsewhere for the winter break.

If this is not possible, students with TRICARE Prime can easily transfer their enrollment while on winter break. Once a student arrives home, or to his vacation destination, their sponsor simply submits a “TRICARE Prime Enrollment and PCM Change Form.” Coverage is effective on the day the form is received. Students can also visit the Beneficiary Web Enrollment website at to transfer enrollment.

The sponsor must also update the student’s address in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). For more information about updating DEERS, go to

When using TRICARE Standard, TRICARE’s most flexible option, beneficiaries can see any TRICARE-authorized provider. The sponsor of a student covered by TRICARE Standard will still need to update DEERS records.

Students with TRICARE Standard or Prime can use TRICARE’s pharmacy benefit anywhere as long as their DEERS information is current and they have a valid ID card.

For more information about TRICARE choices for college students, go to